2010-12-19

Dell Inspiron 1018 - Unfortunately not my second Hackintosh

I am in the market for a real simple netbook whose main -- almost only purpose -- is to run Skype. In other words I am looking for a video telephone. Ideally an OS X powered one. The MacBook Air is beautiful, but it costs an arm and a leg.

One of the most OS X compatible netbooks made so far seems to be Dell Mini 10v. The Mac OS X Netbook Compatibility Chart on myMacNetbook.com states that all hardware features such as sound, sleep, audio, wireless, ..., work. The only problem is that you cannot buy a new Mini 10v anymore.

The current low-end netbook on the dell.nl is the Inspiron 1018. Yes, cheap it is.

Dell Inspiron 1018 - Dell Shop - Small.jpg

Despite having not seen any success stories, I ordered one. Well, I didn't get very far and ended up installing Linux. If anyone had more success, I would love to hear from you.

- MacFiets

 

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you were in Dec: Looking for a netbook I can turn into a hackintosh.

    Did you ever find a solution?

    tsnouffer (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never found a working OS X solution. I installed Linux Mint and left it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI

    I have installed 10.6.3 successfully but with a catch. I msut have hte thumb drive I used to install to boot then select the drive on the computer to boot and it works fine. the only things not working is wifi and sound. all else good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. " I have installed 10.6.3 successfully but with a catch. I msut have hte thumb drive I used to install to boot then select the drive on the computer to boot and it works fine. the only things not working is wifi and sound. all else good."

    Had to do the same (use the flash at startup) with the Inspiron 1012 already, but wifi and sound was ok with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is good (sounds too) but wifi :/

    And don't have QE/CI. Check meklort's blog ;)

    ReplyDelete